Skip to main content

2018 Resolutions

December 2017 25th, 5:00 AM in the morning:with a warm brimming cup of tea; it’s the perfect time to sort out my next year’s resolution and the path forward to my goals. As a teenager, we had this standing joke which said resolutions are meant to be broken. But as an adult, I feel so lost without them. Not that I abide by them or achieve all of them 100%, but somehow these keep me going during my tough days. Whenever I feel strayed, browsing through these, reminds me of my path.
1.       Be a better mother: Last year it was to control my anger while dealing with my baby. Now that I have started to put a check on my anger and keeping in mind that the baby is growing up into a sweet little toddler, I too need to grow up as Mom. How do I do that? For this my to-do includes:
Progress Chart
Mid Year
Year End
Spend half an hour reading books with him at least 5 days a week


Outdoor activities in the weekend


Start reading stories for him and to him


Visit to the zoo


Last but not the least, continue holding my calm and give me unconditional, bountiful love and affection



2.       Be a better daughter and daughter-in law: It sounds surprising to read a good daughter and daughter-in-law, in one breath. But, I strongly believe if I can be a good daughter-in-law, I would involuntarily become a good daughter.
It is so easy to put the blame on others. I often read in blogs and in various articles how insensitive the in-laws are, how rigid and manipulative they are. But, standing in this technologically advanced era, are we sensitive enough? Are we flexible enough? We are too busy to sit and ponder about a situation: we face a situation, we deal with it, somehow come out of it and if required put the blame on others. I do it more than often. I am not saying all the in-laws out there are godly but I want to take out sometime from myself and improvise myself as a daughter. My in-laws and parents have very minimal expectation of getting a call 2 times a week might be. I as well might to do it. I hope with this my life will simpler and happier than now.
Last year I failed on this resolution of mine as somewhere in between I had lost track and started expecting more than giving. This year I will try not to.

Progress Chart
Mid Year
Year End
Parents (once a week)


In-laws (once a week)


Close relatives (once a month)



In fact I should learn to work on my family ties. I love them from the core of my heart but I don’t know what aversion I have towards making calls. There are some people like my sister (I love her like my 1st child) , my Boromoni & Chotokaku who are as important as my parents, but I hardly make a call to them. I really really need to start working on that too. So, one more row added.

3.       Learn Power BI and Improvise Tableau skills: The 2 leaders in BI tools as per Gartner BI MQ (Gartner BI and Analytics Magic Quadrant): Tableau & Power BI are also the 2 most widely used platforms in my current organization. Fortunately with my manager’s support, I have an exposure to both. I have very little time in my hand and in a much focused manner; I will have to reach the intermediate level in both of these. If I have to accomplish my career aspirations, I will have to gear myself up with new skills.

Progress Chart
Mid Year
Year End
Tableau


Power BI



4.       Freelancing as my sole career: The last in the list but not the least.  I enjoyed disciplined freedom. I am not afraid of long hours or challenging jobs, but I hate the time restriction, I hate when I have to be in office for 9-10 hours on the lean days (while my child is at day-care). When it comes to delivering quality work, I believe there must be some amount of trust and freedom associated to it. I desperately want to strike a perfect balance between my career and my family and freelancing is the best option for me. Though it has its own perils, after putting it on the weighing machine, I decide to choose it over the office job.
By the mid of next year, I want to take it up as my sole career option an option over my current job. Life is a challenging now as I have to be play multi-roles: a mother, an office-goer and a freelancer; but I will not give up hope. In fact I cannot if I have to achieve my career aspiration! Throughout this year, I have been losing focus more than often and to restrict myself from doing so, I will list down my path forward and will have a regular check on the same. Though this is very personal, I guess anyone who is looking forward to start a career in freelancing will benefit from it (hyperlink the “It”).
The various freelancing options that I have selected for myself on the basis of my experience along with progress chart:
Progress Chart
Mar ‘18
Jun ‘18
Sep ‘18
Dec ‘18
CSS and web designing-




Content writing




BI tools (Tableau & Power BI)




Data Entry





To get work on the above skills, I need to constantly work hard on them. I will have to move out of my comfort zone and improvise upon my skill sets before I can market myself and start bagging work.

5.       The Supporters: Small in magnitude though, these are the stirrers of the upper important resolutions, so noting them down becomes impeccable:
Progress Chart
Mid Year
Year End
Read at least 1 book in 2 months (any type of book)


Start following at least 10 blogs


Restrict partying


Spend at least 2 hours/week with Annoy on his current venture


Healthy living habit, including regular exercise


With so many responsibilities, options, complexities and entertainments, it becomes tough for someone like me to maintain her sanity. These listed resolutions are for those times.
I wish all the best to myself and a happy new year to all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bhuter chaya

Kichu kichu mukh, jothat hothat emon bhabe chokher samney majhe-sajhe bhense othey, je ami nijei ghabre jai...tar sathey amar joog dhore kotha nei, tar kono khobor nai amar kache r na ami konodin nebar chesta korechi, na ami tar kotha bhabi na habar somoi pai, tobe keno sey emon bhabe amar swapne asey?!?! prothome abcha chilo, diye poriskar hoye uthlo sei chauni, sei hansi...ar kenpe uthlo amar moner bhetorta...hothat kotha theke elo? keno elo? ki chai? o ekta cigarette chaitey esechilo. emni te amar sathey soja mukhey kotha boltona, aj bolchey prai 4 bochor pore. bhalo lagalagir kono scene nei, moner modhye sudhu ghurche ek jhaank prosno...ki kore? keno? hothat? ki byapar?swapne to amra tader ke dekhi jara amader kachey important....tobey ei bostuti keno? tobey ki otar kichu holo? kundan bole negative kokhonno bhabte nei, ami bhabte chai-o na. r kenoi ba bhabbo emon ekjoner jonyo negative jar jonyo ami kichui bhabina. tobe jokhon achomka ese hana dei, tokhon to ar bhalo kichu mat

Love and only love…The Letter

On entering the house after 48 hours, Akhilesh was welcomed by the fresh smell of the passion flower & rose from his balcony. His 1BHK in Malviya Nagar has been done with utmost love & perfection. He has handpicked everything: be it the flower pots or the furniture. Each furniture was of low height and in sync with the wall colours, the best of the lot being the Japanese dining table placed near the balcony, at a place from where he could sit and watch the open sky. He had to pay a hefty deposit for this house, for getting such a place in Delhi was a dream of many. But, not all were Akhilesh! A smile came on his lips as he recalled the efforts invested behind this small piece of property. He ran his fingers through his long hair and scanned through the room. He has painted the walls with utmost care and each stroke reflected his perfection. Though he has picked up some chicken tandoori and roti from the shop downstairs, he had no appetite. Keeping his shoes on the rack,

A Pinch of Selfishness

It was becoming customary for Hiya to steal some time for herself at this hour of the evening. With a strong mug of coffee in her hand, she stood in her terrace, looking past the horizon. All through her life, she has been a sorted daughter, wife, daughter-in-law and a conventional professional. But, recently Hiya has started feeling endangered. Her disciplined, analytical and systematic life has been slipping out of her hands, recently. Since last 6 months, her thoughts were not in her control and her actions were against her principles. She vividly remembers the 1 st time she has seen the baby, her baby, her son. That was a moment of numbness: the last drop of emotion was somehow quenched out of her. For a second, she had sensed a drop of tear near the corner of her left eye. But, later on she had reconfirmed to herself that it was just her delusion. Love… what an insignificant expression. She doesn’t love her son. They don’t love their son.   Their feeling for their son wa