Skip to main content

Paramounts Food Gaarden

Suddenly in Class XI, thanks to the tuition classes; got a free exposure to the world beyond New Graphite colony. Finding the correct tuition was not a challenge as we followed the market ratings and trend. But the major challenge was to find out health, cozy eateries for the stop-gap between two classes. After all, an empty stomach can never support a rigorous schedule. Some of the options were Nimai’s stall, Arambagh and Ramji’s fuchka. But, very soon we got bored with these few options and we craved for more. That is when came this enlightening savior: Paramounts. It was one of its kind in our small town which served us with patties, pizzas, cakes and all could be savored while soothing our eyes on the beautiful emotional cards and gifts. The main attraction of this shop was not the confectionaries but the heartwarming love cards.
It might have been just a shop, but for me: It was my den for all moods; be it happiness, sadness or loneliness. Standing at this place, we have created so many memories. The first flavours of adda, the love for paneer patties, the joy of being loved and the pain of heartbreak all have been hidden in this shop. Generations after generations this shop has seen so much. The faces have changed, but the gusto of emotions this name brings is unmatchable.
Had first celebrated the birthday of my hubby here and seems like a history! It was the first birthday party that I was attending, jointly given by two friends who shares the same birthday. There was so much of fun and frolic everywhere. NePaTis was enjoying their usual paneer patties, when Soumo came and said that the guest of honour for evening has arrived and we were entrusted with the responsibility of entertaining her. She was no one else but my (dear) hubby’s crush. We being the ‘jagatmata’, dutifully took her inside the shop and started displaying the items in such a manner as if we owned the shop. She was flabbergasted with the various gifts and the meaningful cards that this little place had. Soon the gift giving ceremony was over and the bday boys took complete charge of their friend. As an appreciation we were treated with coke cans, which was priceless for us back then. Those days were so naïve, we could be pleased with so little. Hardly did I know then that the boy for whom I was entertaining an unknown girl would soon become my life.
Love was in the air. Everyone seemed to have a partner with whom she was decided to spent the life. Few months after this grand birthday, came Valentines’ day. All had a reason to buy cards and gifts for this special day except the juvenile me. But, my singlehood couldn’t demean my enthusiasm and love for the beautiful red cards and the small pretty red hearts that were so beautifully displayed. While my friends managed to buy one card and gift, I managed to buy some 4 cards and a dozen of hearts. I blackmailed my friends into buying me cards. I had to help Payal & Tista to buy the most meaningful and touchy cards for their boyfriends and the favour was returned with a card of my choice. For Soumo, I had to make a doggy face as I was lonely and l had none to gift a card with, so he bought me one of my choice. One was a gift from the staff of the shop. The ‘didi’ really loved me (might be pitied me). One was a gift for me to myself. I am sure if I dig into my suitcase it will still be lying there as gorgeous as ever. But, not just the cards, the little hearts had also taken away a part of my mind. So, I managed my mom to buy me a dozens of those. Somehow it was very easy convincing her that they were all for me and no boyfriend!
How could my heart be unblemished from the wind of affection and love? But, the person for whom I had wanted to handpick a card for the first time was a complete mystery to me. It was this erudite guy in our class, whom I had used hate with all my sincerity. Do not remember when and why and how this hatred turned into a deep attraction. It was nearly end of Class XII and I was desperate to let him to know that he was no more my enemy. A card was the best way to say it all and his birthday was also nearing. So, I walked up to my favorite den, The Paramounts. It always had that one card which was only for me and my feelings. But, that day in the midst of all those lovely quotes I was lost for once. Some were either too bold or were too meaningless. Some were too bright while the others were too dull. Seeing me so lost for the first time, the ‘didi’ of the shop came to my rescue. As a hideout, I poured my heart to her and she helped me to buy that One card for him. I am still grateful to her as that card was the start of a journey which has with time seen many facets of relationship with one human being.
Some friendships had died out and some had stood the test of time, I was no more a naïve school student. I had started experiencing the vastness of the world. It was in the 3rd year of my graduation, when I was again in Durgapur, standing on my uncle’s porch reminiscing the good and bad old days, when Rahul emerged from nowhere. He stood facing me with that same warm smile dancing in his eyes. Childhood rushed through my veins and I demanded a treat for his Class XII results which had been pending since long. He swiftly accepted and wanted to treat me with anything I wished. I was completely unprepared for this and not being sure where to go, Paramounts was the only option. From our house, Paramounts is just a 15 mins walk, but that he took me through a new route as there was renovation going on in the usual route. So, we walked for some good half an hour. Do not even remember what we ate or what we spoke. The place was no more the same, the faces had got replaced, the tastes had changed. We stood under the bright red light for sometimes engulfed in our own thoughts and walked back home again. I was at the best of my random blabbering when just was just 10 feet away from our home he abruptly stopped and looking at me said, “Why don’t you grow up lady?!” That was the last time we met.

My Paramonuts, yes there was a time when I could comfortably call it mine. It has given me so much, some moments to remember and some to forget. Some friends to be preciously held all through my life and some lost in the race of success.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bhuter chaya

Kichu kichu mukh, jothat hothat emon bhabe chokher samney majhe-sajhe bhense othey, je ami nijei ghabre jai...tar sathey amar joog dhore kotha nei, tar kono khobor nai amar kache r na ami konodin nebar chesta korechi, na ami tar kotha bhabi na habar somoi pai, tobe keno sey emon bhabe amar swapne asey?!?! prothome abcha chilo, diye poriskar hoye uthlo sei chauni, sei hansi...ar kenpe uthlo amar moner bhetorta...hothat kotha theke elo? keno elo? ki chai? o ekta cigarette chaitey esechilo. emni te amar sathey soja mukhey kotha boltona, aj bolchey prai 4 bochor pore. bhalo lagalagir kono scene nei, moner modhye sudhu ghurche ek jhaank prosno...ki kore? keno? hothat? ki byapar?swapne to amra tader ke dekhi jara amader kachey important....tobey ei bostuti keno? tobey ki otar kichu holo? kundan bole negative kokhonno bhabte nei, ami bhabte chai-o na. r kenoi ba bhabbo emon ekjoner jonyo negative jar jonyo ami kichui bhabina. tobe jokhon achomka ese hana dei, tokhon to ar bhalo kichu mat

Love and only love…The Letter

On entering the house after 48 hours, Akhilesh was welcomed by the fresh smell of the passion flower & rose from his balcony. His 1BHK in Malviya Nagar has been done with utmost love & perfection. He has handpicked everything: be it the flower pots or the furniture. Each furniture was of low height and in sync with the wall colours, the best of the lot being the Japanese dining table placed near the balcony, at a place from where he could sit and watch the open sky. He had to pay a hefty deposit for this house, for getting such a place in Delhi was a dream of many. But, not all were Akhilesh! A smile came on his lips as he recalled the efforts invested behind this small piece of property. He ran his fingers through his long hair and scanned through the room. He has painted the walls with utmost care and each stroke reflected his perfection. Though he has picked up some chicken tandoori and roti from the shop downstairs, he had no appetite. Keeping his shoes on the rack,

A Pinch of Selfishness

It was becoming customary for Hiya to steal some time for herself at this hour of the evening. With a strong mug of coffee in her hand, she stood in her terrace, looking past the horizon. All through her life, she has been a sorted daughter, wife, daughter-in-law and a conventional professional. But, recently Hiya has started feeling endangered. Her disciplined, analytical and systematic life has been slipping out of her hands, recently. Since last 6 months, her thoughts were not in her control and her actions were against her principles. She vividly remembers the 1 st time she has seen the baby, her baby, her son. That was a moment of numbness: the last drop of emotion was somehow quenched out of her. For a second, she had sensed a drop of tear near the corner of her left eye. But, later on she had reconfirmed to herself that it was just her delusion. Love… what an insignificant expression. She doesn’t love her son. They don’t love their son.   Their feeling for their son wa